Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Warby Parker ... Fashion Eyeglasses and Do Good Philanthropy

I don't typically write about fashion items, but I do like to write about companies I think are doing something important and are moving beyond the traditional business models.

Warby Parker is a designer eyewear company that has created an alternative to the dominant higher priced eyewear company.

According to Warby Parker's website "The eyewear industry is dominated by a single company that has been able to keep prices artificially high while reaping huge profits from consumers who have no other options."

I wish I had learned this before I picked up my newest prescription glasses. A lower price and lofty ambition would have swayed me to consider their designs.

They have also created a business model that includes giving back to those in need. I like when companies try.

They say, "Almost one billion people worldwide lack access to glasses, which means that 15% of the world’s population cannot effectively learn or work. To help address this problem, Warby Parker partners with non-profits like VisionSpring to ensure that for every pair of glasses sold, a pair is distributed to someone in need."

Well, I like that idea, and I am commending their work. Not only is it good for those in need but it's just good business to push the companies name out to the public as a leader. Their Do Good program is a good thing! Watch the video too, you'll learn why this outreach builds economies. It's short but powerful. Seven hundred million people the world over have limited or no access to glasses.

You should check out their blog too. They write about writing like this post about "five-word memoir titles", parades, parties, books, and music ... I like that!! I do and I like it because they aren't hawking their wares in every post. In a world that is increasingly commercialized and where intense competition forces businesses to constantly be in sales mode, it's refreshing to see something different such as this older post about the musician Beck. They are sharing a bit of their soul. Yes, it leads to sales but at least your happy getting there. It's real business, and it's fun.

Now take a look for yourself at the great looking prescription eyewear, starting at just $95.00 and take advantage of their Home Try-On program.

They've got a lot going on!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?