1. The Sandia Mountains – In Spanish, ‘sandia’ is the word for watermelon. The mountains were named as such for the beautiful pink cast at sunset. Sitting just east of Albuquerque, the Sandia’s are a directional guide for anyone driving. Find yourself facing east at sunset in the city and behold a site you won’t forget.
2. Green Chili – you haven’t eaten until you’ve added a healthy dose of green chili to your meal. Its perfect heat is a wonderful accompaniment to many meals. If you are in NM in the fall, you’ll enjoy the smell of green Chili roasting throughout the land. Mmmm!!! Green chili on eggs, on burgers … for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
3. Albuquerque Little Theatre – A delightful cast of characters with talent worthy of the finest theaters performing such classics as ‘James and the Giant Peach’ and upcoming ‘Chicago the Musical’.
4. NM State Fair – Featuring the PRCA Rodeo Concert series with great musical acts like Mark Chestnut, Tracy Lawrence and Clay walker. Every year a new state fair Queen is chosen, the rodeo brings out the Cowboy and Cowgirl in everyone and it’s the real deal with a Grand Entry, Bareback Riding, Steer Wrestling, Saddle Bronc Riding, Tie-Down Roping, Barrel Racing and Bull Riding. You can’t pass up the fun to be had on the Midway and the cultural shows in the Indian Village and Spanish village. Boys and girls show off their hard work at 4-H and a good time is had by all. This year the fair is September 10 ~ 26.
5. International Balloon Festival – There is nothing better than waking up early on a cool October morning to colorful balloons floating by as you relax with a hot cup of NM Roasted coffee . This year the Festival is October 2 ~ 10.