Letters to my Son

“Our entire life is put together in a story told to us by ourselves. Circumstances, emotions, and thoughts all influence this great tale which is put together by our conscious self. We tell ourselves what happened to us in the past, and come up with rationalizations as to why these things in our life happened. We also tell ourselves who we are today and come up with reasons as to why we are the way we are. Finally we have a story of how we think our future will be, which very much depends on our story of our past and our story of who we are in this present moment. In essence our conscious self tells the story of our life in one big cosmic narrative.” ~~ Sid, Retired Clinical Social Worker and Blogger at Flow Like Water
Dear Son,
As I think about where I should go, what I should do, I think about the story of my life. My story. I wonder if someone were to write a story of my life if it would be the same one I have in my mind. I don’t know if I’ve been bold enough to proclaim my life so loudly as to have just one story. I don’t even think I could write my own story because it seems as if I’ve had so many lives. So I think if several people were to write about my life, they would all be different stories and all would be different than the story I would tell. But really, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Stay true to yourself,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?