Herbal Soup … with Cabbage and Turkey Sausage

I made a wonderful herbal soup yesterday and I woke this morning thinking I’d have it for breakfast … it was that good. I found the recipe in The Herb Companion magazine but I adapted it a bit because I don’t like to measure and also to make it mine. If you are veggie or vegan and want to try this, just eliminate the sausage or use a comparable item.

You’ll need:
• 1 pound turkey Italian sausage, chopped
• 1 medium onion, chopped (I used half of a large onion that was left from the day before)
• 3 cups chicken broth (I used about 4 cups)
• 1 cup water (I added a bit more to make sure)
• 2 cups chopped carrots (I just cut up about 5 carrots)
• 4 cups cubed potatoes (Yukon Gold, white or red) (I used two very large Yukon's)
• 8 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1⁄2 head)
• 1 teaspoon oregano (I used dried)
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (I used dried)
• 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (I used 4 large tomatoes)
• 1⁄4 cup tomato paste (I used two BIG dollops)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1⁄3 cup finely chopped, lightly packed fresh basil (I don’t know why someone would measure basil, I just put as much as I wanted)


1. In a large pot on medium heat, cook sausage and onions about 10 minutes, until onions are soft and sausage is cooked through; drain any fat. (I put a wipe of olive oil in the bottom of the heated pot to start the onions and I didn’t drain anything, because there wasn’t really anything to drain) Add broth, water, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and next 3 herbs. (I added half of the tomatoes at this point as well because I wanted the flavors to meld) Bring to a boil, stir, then simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are done.

2. Stir in tomatoes (I added the other half) and tomato paste. Add salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in basil.

Served right from the stove in a very pretty bowl and a chunk of good bread. Delightful!!!



and here it is ….
IMAG0452


Give credit where credit is due ~~~ Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor to The Herb Companion . She cooks and gardens in western Oregon. (The original recipe is her creation)


Read more: http://www.herbcompanion.com/cooking/herbal-soups-cabbage-soup-turkey-sausage.aspx#ixzz1Bm4aTuWY
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?