The Rums not gone! Ready up for memorial day weekend ...

Image source unknown
We're sliding into Memorial day weekend, the official start of summer. With the nice weather we've been having I started my summer a few weeks ago. If I could have summer 12 months of the year, I'd be a happy lady.

So to start off this weekend, I have another cocktail recipe for you. This time it is compliments of Flor de Cana (Spanish for "sugarcane flower"). If you are a regular reader of my blog, you'll know this is the rum I was asked to review and write about.
A note from Sofia
The rum arrived just in time to celebrate my nephews college graduation. The request of the day was for a classic mojito since the weather was perfect, the music just right and the Ladies & Gents delighted.
We made the cocktails in quantity by using a bit of math with recipe below.
My first impression of this rum was that it was flavorful and smooth. Expecting the harshness noticed with many rums currently on the market, I was pleased with Flor de Cana's easiness. My sister and I declared it a 'Ladies Rum' though ALL of the Gents imbibing declared it to be a hit! 
All thumbs up for Flor de Cana 7 Year Rum!!!!
My sister enjoying herself.
Flor de Cana has been in production since 1890 by Compania Licorera de Nicaragua and they have one of the largest stocks of aged rum in the world.Using only 100% natural ingredients, they never add accelerants to speed the aging. Of course I couldn't be happier to hear that since I am opposed to the use of anything I have no idea about, namely accelerants in my cocktails. If it doesn't sound natural, I don't need it.
Bronze Medal winner in the 'San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2011' and received a "Excellent, highly Recommended rating in the 'Ultimate Cocktails, Spirits & Wine Blast New York 2010' among several other awards.
Try this traditional Mojito. It is the recipe we used and enjoyed!

Classic Mojito
1 1/2 oz Flor de Cana 7 Year Rum
1Tbs superfine sugar
Lime Wedges
4 Sprigs of fresh mint
Club soda

Muddle superfine sugar and lime in a mixing glass. 
Muddle mint leaves,* 
Slap the mint leaves in your hand and add it to the mixing glass (This brings out the flavor from the veins better and does not cause any harshness or vegetal flavors)
Add Flor de Cana and ice.
Using a cocktail shaker, give it a good shake.
Strain into a tall glass with more ice and top with club soda.
Garnish with a sprig of mint.
*If you do muddle, please do it gently so you don't end up with bits and pieces or 'green' flavors which can ruin your drink.
Now, feel some island flavor and quick ... cha-cha away from the bar !!!
~~~
Now, if you are concerned with calories, you can try the
Skinny Cocktail
1 oz Flor de Cana 7 Year Rum
2 oz White Cranberry Juice
1/2 the juice of a fresh lemon
Mix it up, add ice, serve in a highball glass, garnish with a half strawberry.
Total 93 Calories - How could you go wrong!

Find out where you can get Flor de Cana rum on their websites store locator. Of course you must be a legal age to enter the site. You can also follow them on twitter @flordecana ...
And if you are interested in more recipes for your summer parties with 
Flor de Cana, go to their website and click on cocktails. I'll be experimenting some more since I like to tweak recipes to my liking. As I do, I'll let you know.

Now go on ... have a great holiday weekend!

Did you like this story? Comment and Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?