Summer cocktails

Photo from Garden & Gun Margaret Houston
Summer is just around the corner! Time for me to pick my summer drink and this year I an reaching back to an earlier time and I'll order up a cool Planter's Punch.
Many would like to take credit for concocting the drink but it seems Charleston holds right to ownership, even though the cocktail has a long history. I think I'll allow my Charleston this nod even though ownership may belong elsewhere.
The recipe below is from the Peninsula Grill ... with an added twist I picked up from Robert F. Moss's blog. Seems when I was living in Charleston, I failed to know that Grand Marnier was a favorite 'shooter' among the locals. Understandable since at my age, I doubt I'd be found doing shooters in public (in private? that's a whole 'nother story). 

Have you picked your summer drink?
Charleston  Planter's Punch
1 ½ oz. Myers’s Rum
¾ oz. freshly squeezed orange juice
¾ oz. pineapple juice
dash of grenadine
--For an interesting twist add a dash of  Grand Marnier 
Shake well and serve over ice in a Collins glass. Garnish with an orange slice and cherry.

PLANTER'S PUNCH
This recipe I give to thee,
Dear brother in the heat.
Take two of sour (lime let it be)
To one and a half of sweet,
Of Old Jamaica pour three strong,
And add four parts of weak.
Then mix and drink. I do no wrong —
I know whereof I speak.
~From the August 8, 1908 edition of The New York Times

~Maria



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?